Initial Press Release
Christmas Village Announces New Location in Philadelphia for 2016 Season
CHRISTMAS VILLAGE IN PHILADELPHIA PRESENTED BY NRG ANNOUNCES NEW LOCATION FOR 2016 HOLIDAY SEASON
Philadelphia, PA – Christmas Village in Philadelphia presented by NRG announces it will return to Philadelphia for the 2016 holiday season at an exciting new location. Philadelphia’s largest holiday attraction will this year transform Philadelphia’s City Hall (1400 JFK Blvd.) into a traditional, open-air German Christmas Market, open daily between Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 24, 2016 and Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24, 2016. For the second time, Christmas Village in Philadelphia will open early for a special preview on Saturday, November 19 and Sunday, November 20, 2016. Christmas Village will light up the City Hall Courtyard and Northern Apron with holiday sights and sounds featuring thousands of twinkling lights, festive Christmas decorations, a traditional carousel, live music at the main stage, children’s activities and photos with Santa. Shoppers will find high-quality, international and local gifts and decorations. Visitors are also invited to warm up with a glass of warm mulled wine or hot chocolate while enjoying the great variety of European food and drinks. Admission is free, with food, drink and shopping pay as you go. Spread the cheer by following @philachristmas on Twitter and Instagram, liking Christmas Village in Philadelphia on Facebook and visiting www.philachristmas.com.
For the fourth straight year, Christmas Village in Philadelphia is presented by NRG.
Now in its ninth season, Christmas Village in Philadelphia has grown into one of the region’s most unique and charming holiday attractions. After breaking the attendance records with 700,000 visitors last year, organizers expect to attract more than 780,000 people in 2016. Christmas Village has in the past found a home in LOVE Park, but due to construction, will make the exciting change to Philadelphia’s City Hall Courtyard and Northern Apron for the new year.
Eighty international and local merchants and artists are busy preparing high-quality and lovingly crafted gifts that will be sold in decorated tents and wooden houses that will pop-up throughout Center City’s famous City Hall. Once again, Christmas Village in Philadelphia will be accompanied by the Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market, which presents local arts and crafts vendors from the greater Philadelphian area. With ornaments, toys, apparel, jewelry, decorations, home goods, artwork and more, there will be something for everyone on Santa’s list.
Just follow the smell of gingerbread and waffles to a full menu of European food, sweets and drinks, including mouthwatering German bratwurst or schnitzel served on a roll (Brötchen). Look for special menu additions, including Döner Kebab (a German specialty featuring fresh meat shaved right off the rotisserie spit, placed in a warm pita pocket with tomato, onion, and our delicious homemade sauce) and try a warm mug of traditional German Glühwein (spiced mulled wine) or rich hot chocolate.
On top of the great shopping and dining experiences, visitors will enjoy a Wish Wall in conjunction with the Make-a-Wish Foundation, kid attractions on weekends, a photo spot at Santa's House, themed days and weekends, tasting tours with Chaddsford Winery, live music during evenings and weekends on the events’ main stage and other new surprises to be announced.
New and returning holiday surprises for the 2016 season will include:
· This year, Christmas Village stops at a new location since LOVE Park is under construction. Philadelphia’s historical City Hall, with its courtyard and northern apron, will be transformed into a festive Christmas wonderland
· Preview weekend brings back the possibility to experience the market even before Thanksgiving
· The kid entertainment program will include an improved kids corner as well as further entertainment for the little ones. Highlight will be a traditional carousel inside City Hall's Courtyard
· The vendor list will include crowds’ favorite vendors from the past, such as Käthe Wohlfahrt and Herrnhuter Stars, as well as new exciting German vendors like Steiff (high quality stuffed animals). All these vendors will make the 2016 version of Christmas Village the one with the broadest gift variety ever
· The 2016 version of the events collectors mug, in which hot chocolate and Gluehwein are served to Young and Old, will feature a new visual. Stay stuned until the new design will be released
· Since Christmas is a feast for the whole family, Christmas Village in Philadelphia becomes more dog-friendly. Bring your dog to City Hall and take dog photos with Santa or relax at the dog fuel station with great treats from our dog vendor Kylies Canine Treats
· Official opening ceremony will move to a Sunday this year (Sunday, November 27, 2016). The Christkind has a few new surprises to coincide with our new home at Philadelphia’s City Hall
· Join us on Wednesdays for our Ho Ho Happy Hour with special deals on food and drinks from Chaddsford Winery and German Grill. Experience a funky stage program to take a midweek break and enjoy Christmas Village in Philadelphia after work to beat the weekend crowds. On the first Wednesdays in December (12/7/16) we will kick-off the new program with a special "Irish Christmas" theme from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Christmas Village in Philadelphia teamed up with Lyft as the official ridesharing partner.
· Special offers on food and drinks for all students on Tuesday will bring life into the monotony of the everyday school life
After its preview weekend, Christmas Village will open Thanksgiving Day after Philadelphia’s annual Thanksgiving Parade on Thursday, November 24, 2016. The official opening ceremony is set for Sunday, November 27, 2016. Invite your family to meet the original Christkind from Nuremberg after she officially opens the market by reciting her traditional prologue. Take photos with her as she does her traditional walk through the market. In Germany, she is the person that brings the Christmas gifts to the kids, and she won’t be coming to Philadelphia empty handed! The remaining weekends will bring back crowd pulling events such as the German American Weekend, a Charity Weekend and more. Check the schedule of events for more information.
Vendor lists, food and drink menus, themed weekends, special event details and promotions will be released in mid-November. Follow @philachristmas on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat or visit www.philachristmas.com for more information.
Preview Weekend: Nov 19th and 20th
First Day: Nov 24th
Opening Event: Nov 27th
Last Day: Dec 24th
Sunday – Thursday: 11:00am – 7:00pm
Friday – Saturday: 11:00am – 8:00pm
Thanksgiving Day: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Black Friday: 9:00am – 8:00pm
Christmas Eve: 11:00am to 5:00pm
1400 JFK Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19107
# # #
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of the nation’s largest and most diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 200 company, NRG creates value through best in class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers, large and small, we continually innovate, embrace and implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy. We aim to be pioneers in developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at @nrginsight and @nrgenergy.
Aversa PR & Events
German American Marketing, Inc.